Put it in action. The SMT-5000’s versatility fulfills all scratch applications.
Indentation and Scratch Tester SMT-5000 Overview
- Unique combination of indentation, scratch, profilometer, film thickness testing on one automatic platform.
- Patented piezo and capacitive sensor technology.
- Patented image correlation between scratch data and 3D images.
- Nano, micro indentation and scratch tests on same platform using fast exchange heads.
The Surface Mechanical Tester SMT-5000 is a versatile instrument. It merges the ability to measure mechanical properties, such as hardness, modulus, scratch adhesion, film thickness, in addition to surface roughness and many others. All this power is consolidated in one single platform. To that end, the IST module provides both indentation and scratch. Combining piezo actuation and capacitive sensing technologies, the IST brings the highest precision measurements from nano to micro ranges.
Besides the IST module, the SMT-5000 incorporates spectral reflectance film thickness with 3D profilometry and environmental modules. All these capacities cater to demanding engineers and researchers in many fields.
Need help or have a question?
A Surface Material Tester Like No Other
Combination of Indentation and Scratch Module
The IST module combines indentation and scratch testing capabilities in one single module.
Patented In-line Profilometer
3D profiler automatically combines high resolution surface topography with indentation and scratch data.
Lower automated XY Stage
The high precision cross-roller XY stage yields smooth and very accurate test positioning.
Non Destructive Film Thickness
Based on spectroscopic reflectance, film thickness measurement (FT-100) module provides a super fast and direct non contact film measurement.
Upper Z Structure
High precision multiple Z drives with high resolution encoders to move testing and inspection modules.
Open platform architecture for superior modular testing and ease of use.
Instrumented Indentation Tester
Automatic load and displacement curves, Hardness (Traditional and instrumented), Elastic Modulus, Creep, and many more calculations.
- Easily interchangeable indentation head covering multiple load ranges from mN to 40 N
- Unmatched performance with patented capacitive sensor technology
- Berkovich, Vickers, Spherical, Cube Corner, Knoop, various diamond indenter tips, and more
- Standard Vickers hardness or other traditional micro indentation scales.
- Piezo actuator for precise down motion during scratch test.
- The best friction force sensitivity on the market owing to normal and tangential force sensors located in the head.
- Multiple testing ranges from nano to macro on one platform. Easily interchangeable scratch heads.
- Tests in various environments. (Temperature, humidity, corrosion and many more).
- Measurement on flat or curved surface
- Click here for few applications notes
Automatic Stitching of In-line 3D Images
Load Profile and Custom Motions
Switch Quickly From Indenter to Scratch Tester
Load Profiles: constant, linear or user defined load profiles. The applied normal force and resulting friction forces measured using precise NIST traceable sensors.
Versatile XY Stage: The automatic XY stage allows to perform multiple scratch or indentation on single or multiple samples automatically. Tests can be customize to achieve any motion profile such as straight, curved, circle, zigzag, and more.
Indentation With Rockwell Tip
Scratch With Cutting Tool
Non Destructive Film Thickness Measurement
Ultra fast coating thickness determination
The film thickness measurement module uses spectral reflectance to obtain the thickness of a coated surfaces.
- Extensive materials library (500+)
- Real-time, one-click measurement and analysis of thickness, n&k and roughness measurement
- Ease of use, no expert knowledge required
- Powerful analysis package scaling correction, multi-sample measurement, dynamic measurement.
Patented Integrated Four Mode Profilometer
The profilometer is optimized to image scratch and indentation marks with high resolutions. Automatic multiple imaging modes selection to image any sample surface – transparent, glass, mirror, rough, smooth, steep slope, and much more with ease.
Dark Field Mode
Allows detection of cracks at the surface with notable contrast
White Light Interferometer Mode
Allows high resolution images of flat surfaces
Spinning Disk Confocal Microscope Mode
Measures steep slopes, transparent, dark or rough surfaces
Bright Field Mode
2D profiles with high resolution and real colors
Sensors and Chambers
Application specific solutions
Environmental chambers and a variety of sensors create numerous test variations that replicate real-life scenarios.
Electrical Contact Resistance
Identifies the coating failure point via the measure of the electrical resistance change during the scratch.
Identifies brittle material failures by measuring the shock vibrations during the scratch.
Allows scratch corrosion studies.
Temperature, Humidity, and More.
Various sensors on coating scratch adhesion tester provides more information during the test.
Correlation of Deformation, Failure, and Surface Morphology Data
Pre & Post Test Image
Automatic surface deformation assessment with the comparison of before and after 3D images of the surface.
Single or multiple scratches can be performed using predefined recipes.
Continuous Cross Profiler Analysis
Cross profiles measurements are available anywhere along the scratch.
A simple and customizable report is generated with 3D images correlated to scratch data. Moreover, each critical load is presented with separate zoomed images. Additionally, other measures such as friction, roughness, residual depth, volume wear and permanent deformation are also provided.
The Scratch Tester and Indenter Solution
Best the SMT-5000 can easily switch from a hardness tester to a scratch tester, it is used extensively across a wide range of industries:
- Thermal Spray Coatings
- Turbine, engine, components
- Anti corrosive coatings
- Marr Resistance
- Thermal Spray Coatings
- Bio compatible coatings
- Medical devices
- Valves, pumps
- Ceramic coatings
- Bulk materials
- Cutting tools
- Thermal spray
- Bulk Materials
- Textured surfaces
Optics and Glasses
- Touch screen
- Consumer goods
- Coatings on tablet
- Marr resistance
- Bulk materials
- Thin coatings
- Protective coatings
- Consumer goods
Want to learn more?
Get in touch, and request a demo.
© Copyright 2021 Rtec-Instruments - All Rights Reserved